A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Rough idle,stalls,no power,i unhooked coil wires and injector

Customer Question

rough idle,stalls,no power,i unhooked coil wires and injector wires on driver side and it doesn't sound any different,if I unhook either on passenger side it wants to stall out right is a 2005 f150 crew with 5.4.i already changed rockers,lifters,cams and sensors timing chains and guides, 2months later this is happening.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes,it did start making aloud noise when you start it,but it would go away after 10-15 seconds,sounded like dry lifters and a growling noise combined.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: its got 120,000 miles on it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Customer: I also changed plugs and cam phasers when I did the rest of repairs,about 3000.00 worth of parts
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.
Do a manual compression test on the drivers side of the engine. This will evaluate the basic mechanical parts of the engine. You should get at least 175 PSI. Do this and let me know the results please. I will help you narrow down the cause of this problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll be on line for a while tonight and then during the day tomorrow. I'll get an email when you reply back and I'll get back to you as oon as I an. During the week I work at my dealership and I can only get on line in the evening.