Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I HAVE A 2000 FORD FOCUS LX FOUR DOOR..WITH 181,000 MILES..I

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2000 FORD FOCUS LX FOUR DOOR..WITH 181,000 MILES..I WAS LEAVING WORK AND GOING ABOUT 45 MILES HOUR AND THE CAR ACTING LIKE IT WHEN I GAVE IT GAS IT DIDNT WANT TO GO SO THEN I PULLED OVER ON SIDE OF ROAD AND IT STOPPED THEN WOULD NOT CRANK.IT WOULD TRY TO START BUT NOTHING..SO I WAS THINKING ITS THE TIMING BELT.BUT WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THERE A EASY WAY TO INSPECT THE BELT WITHOUT TAKING IT ALL APART?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.
Hi. There is a quick check to just see if the camshaft is turning. The belt timing could be off still if the belt only jumped. But if the camshaft is not turning then the belt is definatly broken.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well he did get the cover off and the belt is broke..so the guy at part store told him about a inspection camera so he jsut got that to see if it messed up the motor..so hows the best way to know if it did mess up the motor/will this camera thing work..he jsut dont want to put a new water pump and belt on if it messed the motor up..but he wasnt going very fast when it happened and it stopped right away so maybe it didnt mess the motor up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but thanks anyway..we got it..