Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Have a 1998 ford f250, changed the engine and put in pcm for

Customer Question

have a 1998 ford f250, changed the engine and put in pcm for that engine, went 2 miles and pump went out of original 4r100 transmission, put in 4r100 tranny out of 2001 expedition. Different wiring, got transmission wiring harness out of 2000 expedition with 4r100 and took that pcm. with 1998 pcm the truck runs wont shift. with the 2001 pcm the truck wont run...what year and model pcm do I need to run both??
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: its out of 2001 expedition eddie bauer edition
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: did you read anything?? 1998 f250...
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question. Unfortunately, due to the vast differences, there is not a pcm that will correctly work with a 98 engine and 2001 transmission. Your choices are to either install the correct year transmission, or have both pcms installed and have a custom harness made to incorporate them.There are just some combinations that do not work and unlike older vehicles where engine or transmission swaps were easy due to no electronics, that simply is no longer the case and for a straight swap with no customization or modifications you have to stick with the correct year.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks