Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Escape: my 2003 escape is idling very rough at stops and once

Customer Question

my 2003 escape is idling very rough at stops and once the engine is warm, if I stop, it is tough to start. At highway speeds it seems ok, maybe a little sluggish on the accelerator--the check engine light has not come on but I had been noticing the smell of something rubbing after driving it.
Oh--and the rough idle went aways for a bit but now is back worse than ever. I only drive the car for long distances a few times a month
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Current miles?4 or 6 cylinder engine?Is the idle going up and down or just low?Any repairs in the past 70k?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
130k miles; It's an xlt but can't remember if it's 4 or 6. Not up and down, just low--below 1 at a stop
Something did happen with the car, got a spark plug replaced and it was fine for a while and then it blew the spark plug. That was about 5 years ago and once it was fixed it was fine, no repairs after that
Thanks for the update, I suggest you use some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor and replace the idle air control valve to address these issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm in california, but not currently new my local garage. Any guestimates about cost--just looking for ballpark figure
Parts and labor for everything I mentioned. 300$ max.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris