Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2004 ford with 6.0 turbo. runs great without a load.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 ford with 6.0 turbo. runs great without a load. After about 10 ***** ***** of pulling my 5th wheel it runs out of power. It was over heating and losing power when it did. I took it in and they replaced a blown turbo boot. Now it doesn't over heat but loses power at about 10 ***** *****. Until then I can punch it and have great power.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry, my name is john
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Any warning lights on?For some reason the site Xed out after you typed 10. Was that 10 miles, or 10 minutes?Once it loses power will it no longer create boost or no longer increase rpms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No warning lights. Loses power after about 10 miles. RPMs remain high with no engine power.
Since the rpms are still able to go up, is it the transmission that is just not moving the vehicle forward equivalent to the rpms from the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure. The transmission temp stays normal.
When you have this power loss does the rpm rise fast and easy when commanded, does boost pressure increase?When this occurs is the engine cooling fan racing fast trying to bog the engine down?Do you have this power loss in all forward gears and reverse?Will it roll freely in neutral when this occurs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
RPMs didn't seem to rise quickly, more slowly as the power decreased. Don't have a boost pressure gage. Unsure about the cooling fan racing. Power loss in all forward gears. Didn't test reverse. Rolls freely in neutral. I pulled to the side of the road, backed the fifth wheel up with no problem, stopped for a few minutes, got back in and put in 4x4 to pull out of snow with no difficulty, then back on the road with power gradually coming back.
Does this only occur when snowing?I am not getting enough info to try and figure this out without diagnostic tools.