Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

We have an airbag light flashing a code 36 on a 2002 Ford Expedition.

Customer Question

We have an airbag light flashing a code 36 on a 2002 Ford Expedition. My understanding is that is the drivers side airbag, which I don't think this vehicle has. I believe the yellow terminated connector under the drivers seat is it. All wires look fine there. BTW, this code came up after I replaced the heater core. Is there another connector/wire under the das that I should look for. Any help would be appreciated.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Ford Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** me look this code up, give me a few minutes.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Does your vehicle have air bags in the seat?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think so, how would I tell?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Usually says on the seat, "air bag" in small lettering, most were built with a small resistor to take the place of the bag, try disconnecting and reconnecting this yellow jumper under the seat if it is there, try removing and installing the connector several times with the key off, sometimes the wiring builds up some resistance called terminal fretting. This is usually the cause.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have already unplugged the yellow connector a few times. The connectors looked good. I even swapped the yellow terminator it is plugged into with the passenger one. Still gives code 36.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Ok I can give a pinpoint test if you want, there is one more connector, I can't look at it as it isn't listed, all it says it is behind the RH side of instrument panel. I suspect it is another yellow connector, take a look at the RH side and see if maybe there is a loose connector there.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you find anything loose.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
RH side of instrument panel? That is fairly vague. Any way we can narrow that down?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry that all I have, I can't even look at the connector face.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I looked all under the dash near the instrument panel. Nothing really looks like airbag wiring per say. I went ahead and reseated a couple of plugs I found and inspected wires. No luck. Do you have a diagram that shows where the air bag wiring goes from the seat back to the console?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Here is the wiring diagram, let me look for a layout of the wiring.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Can't find the wiring layout because the connector is not shown. Did you look under the kick panels?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does BN/LB refer to brown with a black line? The wire colors going to the yellow connector are red and white with a blue stripe. Also what resistance should the Resistor be?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Bown with light blue. They don't list the resistance of the air bag or the resistor because they don't want technicians testing resistance on the bag, that would be bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I had the resistance, I could make sure the resistor ins't bad. If I also knew what pins on the RCM go to it, I could connect a resistor at the module and not worry about some wire broken somewhere under the carpet or a bad connector somewhere.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
I have never seen one of those resistors go bad. I would guess they are 3-5 ohms?? I just don't have that information. Ford gives us enough information to repair the vehicle only. I can't be involved in harness alterations as this is not a safe repair, therefor I will opt out and have another expert assist in this repair, sorry.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you have any other tests I can do. BTW, I just measure the resistor it was 7 ohms.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Correction 5.5ohms
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Earlier you mentioned a pinpoint test. Can you give me that?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
I can give you the pinpoint tests, there are 3, because the 36 code can be one of three tests.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I will try that and let you know what I find.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you