roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Ford Explorer 4.0: Explorer 96 4.0 OHV running rough? And fast

Customer Question

Explorer 96 4.0 OHV running rough? And fast idle at startup / slow return to normal RPMs, Code P1454, B1352, P0171 and P0174.
I have fixed my code P1454 by replacing the vent canister solenoid. I also fixed thevP0171 and P0174.
The only code I am showing now is B1352 how do I clear this? Or is the is a permanently on code? As I have to have the ignition key in to scan?
How do I fix my idle from surging? And fix the fast idle approx 3000 rpm at start up and correct the slowly returning Rpms from when I press the gas peddle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 12 months ago.
Hello. I would suggest cleaning or replacing the idle air control to see if that will resolve the high idle issue. The B1352 is for the audible warning device. I can send you a PDF containing all the testing and inspection information on that code to your email for 5.00 if you would like. . I have not personally dealt with it as it's a pretty unusual code to deal with, so I can't advise you as to what the issue is exactly. You would have to go through the literature.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
B1352 was included in my original problem so I don't think I should be paying extra $5 for it?I have changed the iac for a new one already and have the same issue, I have also replaced the egr dpfe and vacuum solenoid to cure the lean codes.I have access to scan tool are there any pids I should be looking at to help indicate the problem.
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist 171 and 174 are lean codes as you know. possible causes are mass air flow sensor, vacuum leaks, pcv valve stuck open and low fuel pressures. have you checked any of these items??? if you have a scan tool. tell me the long term trims for the O2 sensorsthe 1352 is a key in ignition circuit issue. does the key warning buzzer work??? clearing the code does nothing. it needs to be repaired before it will clear and stay gone Roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
B1352 - buzzer works intermittently, can you send me the document the other tech was referring to? Does the ignition switch in the 96 explorer come as 1 part or 2, a tumbler and a electrical section? If so I am assuming it's just the electrical section I need?I have already cleared the 171 and 174 lean codes this was caused by my egr being bad, I also tested the dpfe and it was bad also I replaced both of these and also the vacuum tree.I have replaced the vacuum hoses to the heating system, to the heater core shut off, egr valve, and purge valve under the battery. I have sprayed all around the other vacuum hoses in the engine compartment and all around the intake manifolds to find other leaks, and have no further leaks.My long trims are high running about 12, my short trims are also high running 0-6Oh, also replaced the PCV valve and checked the brake booster for air leaks.When I disconnect the iac all my issues seem to disappear and come back instantly once it gets plugged back in. Same result wit the original iac, and the replacement and the one I took off of our other explorer.
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
I have no idea what document the other tech was referring to. you would have to contact him for that information. I would try another key for the buzer issue Roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No problem, what else should I try for the idle issues? I have access to a good scanner can test all pids and control actuators as required
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
I think the issue with your high idle is related to vacuum leak. check the pcv line for any holes or collapses at the elbows. common failure. my guess is the 171, 174 are going to come back as they take time to set Roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have read about the issues with the elbow near the PCM valve taken the hose off examined it closely and no holes and fits snug, I have sprayed 3 cans of ether wrong every hose I can see and all around the intake manifold. I don't have a vacuum leak.
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
ok, a lot of times you wont hear a difference. when you are spraying, use the scan tool and watch the long term trims. whatch for them to change. the pcm can make changes fast and you may not be able to catch that by ear when you spray the ether Roy
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
also, have you checked the actual fuel pressure??
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have not checked fuel pressure please can you give me assistance in that
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
you can rent a tester at a parts store.you need 35-45 lbs of pressure key on engine off
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How do I use the tester where do I connect it etc
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
there is a valve like a tire valve on the fuel rail along the injectors. you screw on the fitting and turn the key on and read the pressure it is that simple Roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok fuel is 41 psi
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
good right in spec.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok so why are my Rpms bouncing from(###) ###-####with the iac plugged in and why to my Rpms goto 3000 about 40 seconds when I first start it with the iac plugged in? And it does not when the iac is unplugged? Also when I shift into gear the Rpms Goto about 2000 and then cut back down after about 5 seconds?
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
ok, when it is unplugged, how low does the idle go??? Roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
About 600 rpm
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
500 is the spec so thats not far off. it sounds like your iac is bad but did you say you used one from another truck and it did the same thing?? if that is so, do you have a voltmeter to do a voltage check?? roy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a brand new iac on it same thing, and I also put one off of our other explorer same thing also
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes do the voltage check getting 4.8 on the reference wire and as you open the throttle the voltage adjusts on the other and has good ground
Expert:  roy replied 12 months ago.
the voltage is too low. it should be around 6.5 to 7 volts for the correct idle. if you have no vacuum leaks, fuel pressure is good, mass air flow is good, then the only other control for this is the pcm. Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not looked at this any more over the weekend but will put a meter back on the tps this evening and confirm the reading.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Back to the key switch issue for just a moment. . .Switching to a different key made no difference.Do you suspect the lock cylinder or the electrical ignition switch?
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
yes, the cylinder not the electrical portion Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a new PCM due to arrive on Thursday.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
ok, make sure it is flashed before installing. Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So here is what I have done so far.
Replaced vacuum hoses, one going to the Climate control was melted in to, and one going from the climate control to the heater core coolant valve was broken.Replaced the egr, dpfe, pcv valve, egr vacuum solenoid.Replaced the TPS, IAC and MAFReplaced the Oil Pressure SenderSome of these have just been switches from our 98 to confirm if a part is good or bad.As soon as I have the PCM I should know what is going on its about the only thing we have not been Abe to test.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the PCM we have purchased the exact same, and confirmed that it is ready to go and does not need any additional flashing.
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
ok, I am very leary about on line purchases of pcm as they rarely come through with the correct programming. I hope they did it correctly for you Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have it coming direct from ford and know someone at our dealership that is going to program
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
good deal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got caught out before when changing a box out on a Volvo WIA64 Cummins computer
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
we all learn from experience, dont we??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok tried the replacement computer and exactly the same result
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
what is the voltage at the iac valve while the engine is idling
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll swing outside again in a few and get that, it just started raining