Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Ford f150: My daughter has a Ford F-150, 2007. It is making

Customer Question

My daughter has a Ford F-150, 2007. It is making a metal scraping noise when driving
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** the noise change a all when pressing the brakes? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think so, it is like a loose metal clanking sound it comes and goes, sometimes when idling! I thought it might be compressor, when you turn fan all the way to off position it still can make that weird metal scraping sound, I think the compressor could be going bad too
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
What size engine? Does noise change when turning on AC?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.2, and yes
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
If noise changes when turning on AC that is a pretty good sign. I'd recommend using a stethescope at this point to try and narrow down where noise is coming from. If you do not have access to one you can use a screwdriver and listen to the end of it. Things that would cause this noise are the idler pulleys, tensioner, and AC compressor. Here is a diagram to help locate everything. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.-https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vgv2v61r26c2cm/belt.pdf?dl=0