mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My name what could it be when I go go from 0 to 60 at 20 mph

Customer Question

hi my name jeff
what could it be when I go go from 0 to 60 at 20 mph its start to pause then goes up and there no problem what could that be
Category: Ford
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.

if you feel this stumble under normal acceleration it sounds like a dead spot on the throttle position sensor. thissensor works much like a fuel level sensor and as you press on the gas its signal to the computer needs to be smooth. sometimes they develop a "dead spot" where when accelerating they will stumble fore a moment because the ecu has a hard time understanding the information then it is fine.

if you have no more questions i would appreciate a star rating if you have a moment as this is how we are given credit from the site. i am not paid until i am rated and they pay me from your deposit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

also no check engine light is on ?

it is possible for this stumble to not set a check engine light since you have a very early system it does not trip as easily as they do now/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

k you don't think nothing with transmission?

when this stumble happens do the rpms raise for a bit and does it seem to shift hard?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

WELL ITS AN AUTOMATIC BUT WHEN I PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND PRESS FOOT ON PEDAL SOUND FINE ?

another system that can cause this stumble is the egr system in nuetral there is no engine load so it will not open but under engine load it may be opening when it should not. this will cause a stumble asa well. if the transmission seems to shift hard then it can be a transmission issue. but if it seems to shift smoothly then i would not consider it to behaving an issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

YA IT SHIFT HARD AT 20 TO 25 MPH ALL OTHER SHIFT ARE GOOD WHAT YOU THINK THIS IS?

that sounds like you may have a sticking shift solenoid if that is the case. possible you 2nd gear shift solenoid. this is a fairly easy transmission to diagnose. i would recommend taking it to your local garage so the can remove the trans pan and ispect your solenoids electrically as they are inside the transmission.

if you have no further questions i would appreciate a rating if you have a moment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

would some that transmission slip liquid help

it is possible but unlikely and this sounds like a solenoid sticking. that fluid is thicker so it is more likely to cause it to stick more than to help. you are welcome to try it though since it is a cheaper route to start with. if you were to use one my personal favorite to use is lucas stop slip.