Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Just bought 2005 F250, runs great on 2x4, but, when I had to

Customer Question

Just bought 2005 F250, runs great on 2x4, but, when I had to put it into 4x4 on a snowy highway at a higher speed, it was very bouncy. Is that normal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure... was jolting on 4x4 going 45mph. My name is Carol.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Carol, it is fairly normal for a true four wheel drive truck like yours to be rougher to drive at high speeds in four wheel drive. As opposed to newer all wheel drive vehicles that have some slippage built in, your four wheel drive has a positive connection between the front and rear wheels. So any slight tire variation will cause a slight binding as the wheels turn, if it is really slippery and at lower speeds you will not notice it. But at higher speeds where the road is only a little slippery is when it is most noticeable. One thing to check is that all of your tires are the exact same tire. Occasionally even though a tire will have the same size marking on it, a different brand or even model of tire will be as much as an inch different in circumference, this will cause not only the roughness you feel, but severe stain and wear on the driveline when in four wheel drive. All tires should be identical and rotated frequently to maintain even wear.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Good information, appreciate your help! Take care.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for using our service!