Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Why does the truck crank and run 5 min then shut down and

Customer Question

Why does the truck crank and run for about 5 min then shut down and won't restart?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common cause for this issue here is a fault with the fuel pump.If the fuel pump is weak it may be heating up and slowly dropping fuel pressure causing this here.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this should be done to see if this is the fault here.

The other common issue is a fault with the crank sensor itself.Most engines use a crank sensor for the computer and ignition components to see what the rpm signal is and the crank position.This sensor when weak can fail to send a signal after the engine has ran a bit and will cause the stall out and a no start until the engine has sat and cooled a period of time.In some cases the engine computer will set a fault code for this issue and if you havent had the fault codes checked this should be done.

In some cases the scan tool plugged into your model can be used to observe the engine cranking rpm when cranking over the engine when it doesnt start.If there is no cranking rpm this usually indicates the crank sensor needs replaced.These will need checked into to locate the source of the fault and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete