Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I've replaced the alt and battery and the lights surge dim

Customer Question

I've replaced the alt and battery and the lights surge dim to brite and within 3miles of starting the voltage light comes on in the dash
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'd
next check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox for cleanliness and tightness

there are also a couple of small earth wires that run out of the engine bay wiring loom and are secured to the engine with a ring terminal and a small bolt - these earth the ECU

double check that where the alternator bolts to the engine - this too has no corrosion and its bolts are tight

if this is all OK then I'd next check the high power fuses in the engine bay fusebox for corroded contacts and cracks