James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 1999 F350 4x4 with 7.3. Need to remove the timing

Customer Question

I have a 1999 F350 4x4 with 7.3. Need to remove the timing cover and re seal it. It looks like the engine has to come out to remove the oil pan so that the timing cover can come out. Is that true?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a significant leak from where the timing cover meets the block. I thought it was the HPOP gasket, but it was not (the gasket had come apart, but no the source of the leak). Every thing that I look at indicates that the oil pan has to come off (looks like the oil pump is in the bottom of the timing cover)
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I'd love it if he told me that I am wrong.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
Hello, are you wondering if you need to remove the engine or not?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
You will want to remove the engine for this job. The engine needs to be removed to replace the oil pan and will make life much easier.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I thought. Thank you
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.
You are welcome. Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.