Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1992 ford ranger turns over but won't start, Replaced

Customer Question

1992 ford ranger turns over but won't start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Replaced ignition control module thought it may be that. Just tried to start it but won't fire pushed the gas pedal down a cople of times I don't smell gas at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for spark and fuel while cranking? What size engine do you have? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2.3 litre vin. 1FTCR10A5NTA68561
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no on other questions not a great mechanic
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thank you! Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does it go off while cranking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shouldn't I smell fuel if I press on the gas pedal I mean by the engine . I've flooded it before and could smell it but nothing now
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

It is possible.. if you have fuel but no spark, then yes, you might smell fuel. I would verify that the check engine light comes on with the key on and that it goes off while cranking. This will verify that the computer is awake with the key on and it recognizes engine rpm.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check engine stays on
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If it stays on while cranking, then you might just have a bad crankshaft position sensor..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do you test and where's it licated
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

With the key on, start by checking the red/light green wire for battery voltage. If that checks out good, then check the signal out of the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor using a scope or voltmeter. The CKP signal wire is the Gray/Orange (GY/OG) wire at the 4-wire sensor connector. Leave the sensor connected and back probe the wire, looking for a 0-12 V square wave signal when the engine is turning. The crankshaft position sensor is located LH Side Of. Engine, Near DIS Module

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Man I have no clue
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I would just replace it.. provided the timing belt did not break

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I just just get a refund I'm gonna get a mechanic and a tow truck.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I would appreciate a positive rating for spending time with you and sharing valuable information about your vehicle.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I have answered all of your questions, pointed you in the right direction and even help you diagnose the problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok then i guess I won't be recommending this to anyone thanks .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Please keep in mind, I am trying to help you.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I do hope you appreciate my help