Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Im ***** ***** was a ford diesel tech 20 years i opened my

Customer Question

hi im ***** ***** was a ford diesel tech 20 years i opened my own shop have a 2009 350 6.4 650000 km on it ticking noise in it sounds like a bad lifter i have changes lifters rockers 2 pistons sent the heads out noise went away for about 500 miles any idea
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it runs fine no miss just a loud taping like a bad lifter put a stethiscope 0n the fuel rails and the noise seems to be in the rail
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like you're describing injector noise. I'd imagine those'd be all worn out after all those miles. Have you checked them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i no but its loud as hell i hear it on the stainless fuel line i have disconected each injector noise doesnt change much could it transfure through the pump

Yes it could. Can you run a balance test with your IDS?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have done that all are 100 percent

Man, it's never easy with these 6.4s - I sure miss the old 7.3s!

Well, if the injectors are good, then I imagine there is no significant amount of diesel in the oil that could cause lifter noise. Plus, if you've checked all the usual suspects, such as oil press, valve clearance, etc. and found everything OK, then I would have to lean towards the pump as being the source of the noise. Have you checked for any type of debris in the fuel rail that might indicate that pump being worn out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
u got that right i did check for debris didnt see anything could it be worn rod but i dont really here a double knock and i have never herd a pump make that kind of noise after i changed the worn out rockers and lifters and the heads the noise whent away for about 500 miles i have never seen a 6.4 that has never been apart with 650000k on it

Having been retired for a while now, I've not actually seen one of these pumps go bad, but I have heard that they do. The one thing that has me thinking is what you said about the noise going away for a while after the repairs; could it be possible that there is oil dilution? I mean, I know you've probably thought of this before, but have you tried changing the oil and going with a heavier weight, like a 40 or even 50 just to see if the noise goes away? I'm thinking that if it does, then our problem is engine wear and not injection-related.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ya i have changed a bunch of pumps but never herd one do this i ordered 50 weight for the old rig the oil has only 1000 k on it and it has the dpf delete and tuned

I'm thinking that 50 weight is gonna tell us what's going on for sure...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

I see you have requested a new tech. Would you like me to help?

Thanks Chris