A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I took my 2002 ford f150 crew cabto the dealer to have a key

Customer Question

i took my 2002 ford f150 crew cab*****to the dealer to have a key made and they said the key wouldnt program itself . why is this ?? the mechanic told me the windshield leaks on these trucks so i went to get it fixed and sure enough the window was bad.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. I'm a bit confused by your post; what is it exactly that you need our help with that the Ford dealer couldn't provide?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i only have one key and was trying to get another one made and programed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they told me the key or computer was not programming itself ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello ?

I'm sorry, I understand what the dealer told you, I just don't understand what it is you want me to do. Can you please clarify that?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i would like to know why the new key wont program itself ?? is it the pats modual ??

I'm in a place where making a phone call is not possible for me at this time. I'll opt out so others may try to help you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
omg i paid for what here ?? im looking for an answer now not in 24 hrs
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.

The PATS key system uses the Instrument cluster, PCM (Engine Computer) and PATS module which communicate and allow the vehicle to start when a properly programed key is inserted into the ignition key cylinder. If the key will not program, they should have given you more information that what you are telling us. The IDS scan tool we use has to wait 10 minutes to gain security access to allow us to program a key. It starts with communicating with the instrument cluster and then the PATS module. If the key will not program, they should have gotten trouble codes or a module communication problem and informed you about it.