Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My name is ***** ***** i have a 2002 ford ranger and the ac

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** i have a 2002 ford ranger and the ac compressor only comes on when it wants to do you know what it could be ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes when i turn on the ac it does not come on until maybe 10 or so miles down the road
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

One common cause for this type of problem providing the AC system is properly charged can be caused by a failing AC compressor clutch relay. In order to determine if in fact that is the case you are going to need to do some testing. Are you able to do this if I send you the steps?