Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The dash is telling me that I will run out of DEF in 45

Customer Question

The dash is telling me that I will run out of DEF in 45 miles and be limited to 55MPH. I poured some additional DEF into the tank and it is still telling me my speed will be restricted in 45 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just added the additional DEF so far, I was just looking for additional things to try.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

I've seen this a number of times in the new ford and chevy DEF tanks. They have a fluid level sending unit (just like a fuel pump) that goes out and makes the truck enter limp mode because it thinks the truck is out of DEF.

What year, make, and model is your truck?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2011 Ford F550
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a scan tool to help nail down what error it is giving?

If not, that's fine.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Also, how low was the level when it first gave you the warning and you added to it?