Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have 1989 5.0 mustang idles 1000 to stay running nice i

Customer Question

i have 1989 5.0 mustang idles 1000 to stay running nice i put it in drive or reverce stalls??
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it has b-303 cam c/l 65mm and mass air 65mm ford racing heads gtx heads long tube hedders 2000 stall converter 30lb injectors ??
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i think soooo
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: it has painless stand alone wire harness
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi there.

First, inspect the engine compartment for any loose/broken vacuum hoses. If OK, spray carb/choke cleaner on and around the EGR valve and the intake manifold area with the engine at idle. If the engine smooths out while you spray a particular area, you have found the source of the stall.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have no egr it is done away buy sct chip i had steve on phone who set up my chip . thinks i stabed dist. wrong

I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed all the mods. In your case, distributor can only be set on basic timing. Cam lift and duration will determine how high the idle speed needs to be to prevent stalling. Didn't your cam come with those specs?