Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

The door locks keep cycling on my 2003 Explorer. How do I

Customer Question

The door locks keep cycling on my 2003 Explorer. How do I make it stop?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you have the key fob for the locks?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

First thing you should do is take the battery out of the key fob. It might be sending signal to the door locks and causing them to cycle. It's a very common problem when they start to fail. If this doesn't help, then the next most common issue is with the door lock cylinders. They tend to corrode over time and this causes signal to be sent that will cause them to keep cycling.

In order to determine if that is the cause you have to remove the door panels and look at the door locks and the latch assemblies for any signs of green corrosion.

finally, these do sometimes have issues with the fuse box under the dash. This is called a SMJ, when this happens you can usually see some corrosion on the wires that plug into the box. If that is the case it will have to be replaced.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!