Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

I am trying to replace spark plugs on my "06" F-150 5.4 and

Customer Question

I am trying to replace spark plugs on my "06" F-150 5.4 and removed the coil packs, and when I put the plug socket down the tube I found it was round and so I don't know how I will get the plug out. I just bought about 80 bucks in Motorcraft plugs
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: that was the plan. I have replaced plugs on all my own vehicles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I don't think so. I bought the truck used and it had 140,000 miles on it, and Idont know when or if ever the plugs have been replaced
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

At this point you could try and break out the center insulator and then use an EZ out on the metal part of the plug still in the head. Most likely what happened is the plug was carbon stuck in the bore and someone was not familiar with how to remove it. This is a very common problem on these engines. You use an impact lightly on them at first to see if you can break the carbon loose. If not, twist the head till it breaks off and then there is a special tool to extract the remainder of the plug stuck in the bore. If that doesn't work, you have to pull the head and send it to a machine shop.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

At this point you could try and break out the center insulator and then use an EZ out on the metal part still in the head. Most likely what happened is the plug was carbon stuck in the bore and someone was not familiar with how to remove it.