Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2000, f150, xlt, drains the battery when vehicle is off,

Customer Question

my 2000, f150, xlt, drains the battery when vehicle is off, radio, windows etc, keep working when turned off and key is out. What would cause this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The most common cause for this type of problem is in most cases caused by a small water leak on the left top side of the windshield which water to run down the left windshield post and drip on the GEM module which mounts to the top of the interior fuse panel. Once the GEM/fuse panel gets wet it caused internal shorting and all sorts of electrical issue such as a battery drain as well as the radio and windows not shutting off. You can determine if in fact this is the cause by inspecting the GEM/fuse pane for any signs of corrosion and or moisture. If found you can usually dry them both out and reseal the windshield and solve this problem . Start with checking the GEM/fuse panel. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help.