Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I apologize in advance post but I want ensure all the info

Customer Question

I apologize in advance for the long post but I want ensure all the info is here for you to review. I bought a 2005 6.0 F-250 SD with 150K on it in July 2014. It has been a pain in my wallet since buying it and I have replaced/installed the following already:
Repair # ***** (Sept 2014)
EGR delete
Rancheros all around
Track bar replacement
Drag link at pitman arm
Steering gear box (RedHead Steering Gear)
SCT tuner
Repair # ***** (January 2015 - March 2015)
Valve Spring Upgrade
ARP 625 head studs
Warren Diesel Injectors (155/30)
Marty's Diesel Performance Fuel System
Stage 2 turbo from Mad Turbo Werks
Updated Ford oil cooler
BPD Oil Coolant filter
Edge CTS monitor
Diesel RX Glow Plugs
Swamps 58V FICM
New gas tank sensor (fuel would register as full then suddenly would register as empty)
Repair # ***** (December 2015)
New Brakes
New Steering stabilizer shock
Repair # ***** (March 2016)
# ***** injector replaced
I have had so many problems that I, and especially my wife, am beginning to lose hope and patience with this truck. Too much money invested and still having problems. My current problem is actually an old one. It is the original problem I had that started me down the road of fixing this truck in the first place.
A bit of history; truck was shaking bad when hitting bumps on highway and when driving in city would suddenly pull left or right (felt like the tires were literally folding over to one side). Because of this I took it in and had repair # ***** done. Seemed to fix the issue and then it started smoking (white smoke), rough idle at start and no power until warm. Found out heads were blown and 3 injectors were bad so had repair # ***** done. Everything seemed okay but kept getting P0263 error code and occasionally would get P0345. I would clear codes and the P0345 would go away for a while then pop up again.
I left it alone so I could muster more cash and face the wife's wrath. Then it started randomly making a weird clunking noise every once in a while which sounded like I was running over a big pot hole (even though I wasn't). It also started pulling left and right again. I took it in to the shop and found out I was missing my rear brake and my steering stabilizer shock was spent so I had repair # ***** done.
Although I still had the injector and cam shaft sensor issue, I was waiting for cash and the guts to tell my wife it needed to go in the shop... AGAIN! In any event, it seemed to be running well and had no issues for a couple months.
Then last month it started the left/right pull issue again and this month while I was making a left turn it suddenly made a loud whirring sound (sounded like a tire rubbing on a fender after an accident) followed by a whooshing sound as all my power steering fluid gushed out of a crack on the top of my steering gear box (mind you this box was only 19 months old and it failed catastrophically). Had a hard time getting it home without power steering or brakes but the next day had it towed to the shop and did repair # *****
When I picked up the truck from the shop I was informed that the steering was stiff when turning left as compared to turning right. I confirmed this when driving home and noticed it was extremely easy to turn right but also makes a strange sound when doing so. Although the codes are cleared and haven't shown up it is still making a weird sound when turning right. I don't think this steering issue is over yet and my biggest fear is it will go out when I am on the highway with my family inside. I have talked to my mechanic and the Redhead steering folks and neither have heard of anything like this. I am at my wits end and am looking to you all for any advice or assistance. Has anyone encountered this issue before and should I just abandon ship or press on?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

For you steering issue. Can you confirm the tie rod ends and ball joints are not loose, or hard to bend. Also can you disconnect the steering linkage at the gear box and with the tires off the ground turn the wheels in both directions with ease and the same effort. If so then it has to be the gearbox to blame for the lack of assist in just one direction. I have always used a Motorcraft gearbox so I can not speak for this red head brand.

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris