James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2003 XLT Explorer and all four windows are stuck in

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! I have a 2003 XLT Explorer and all four windows are stuck in the closed position. The manual only indicates a circuit breaker under the hood as being for the windows, and none of the under dash fuses are clearly identified as being for the windows. Should I replace the CB first? If it does not work, are any under dash fuses for the windows?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hoping, but not necessarily hooked on the idea if there are too many variables to consider.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: The windows seemingly operate every once in a while, but have been closed for a few weeks now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do any of the Windows work from there own switches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
On this vehicle the wires are known to break between the driver door and body of the car. The wires are known to break especially the ground wire. The ground wire controls the ground to all windows. Using a pick will help sort through the wires. Once you repair the broken wires the Windows will work again.