Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. Trying to replace

Customer Question

Ford 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. Trying to replace transmission line connector at radiator. It keeps loosening no matter how tight it is and starts leaking ATF. When I started loosening it to replace, water started coming out! I did not expect that! Is this normal? Will this drain the radiator? If so, how is the radiator fluid and ATF kept separated? How should I proceed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Some trans line usually has a disconnect that requires a special tool.

Can you send me a picture of the line where it goes into the radiator?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know about the disconnect tool. I have that. The problem: Transmission line connection at bottom of radiator leaks at the point where it connects to the radiator. When it is tightened, it stops leaking. Then after a week or so, it starts dripping again. I believe thee oring at the radiator face is failing so I am trying to replace fitting. When I loosened it, water started dripping out.Why?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can send a picture if needed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Did you get a new seal and fitting?

That is part of the internal trans cooler in the radiator.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A new oring is on the new fitting. Why is water coming out when I loosen the existing fitting at thee radiator. I thought this connects directly to the transmission oil cooler in the radiator, but should not have water coming out when I loosen. I need your insight regarding why this is happening. What would you do in this situation?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

The cooler is submerged in the coolant in the radiator. If it is still leaking with a new seal the Radiator will have to be replaced.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.
If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still don't think you understand my issue. The fitting does not leak radiator fluid during normal use. The fitting drips transmission fluid at the radiator face until tightened. After tightening, it does not leak until it works loose after a week or two and again drips transmission fluid. To remedy this, I was attempting to remove the fitting to replace it or at least the oring. When I loosened it, water began dripping then dribbling at the fitting radiator face. I was looking for some insight as to why this is happening and whether I should continue to remove it. The seal you refer to is on the new fitting which I have not been able to install due to above. Absent any further info, my inclination is to lock the fitting in place with a little epoxy putty.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question.

Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not satisfied with your answers. Your responses have not addressed my question which I have repeated multiple times. Please do not bill me for theses responses which did not answer my issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

If the fitting keeps coming loose than there is a problem that will require either replacing the fitting or the radiator to resolve your issue. I offered to do a Live discussion via phone so you would better understand what needs to be done.

Thank you for posting your question.
Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry to be so blunt, but I was running out of time and your responses were not addressing my issue. The truck was on the rack and I needed to solve the problem. I was (am) not willing to replace a radiator that is functioning fine with no leaking issues. There is no sign of water in the transmission fluid or oil in the radiator fluid. I was also not willing to risk getting water in the transmission by removing the fitting that started leaking water when I loosened it. My solution was to tighten the fitting (it does not leak when tightened) and use a small amount of epoxy putty to lock the fitting against the radiator to keep it from vibrating loose. If it loosens again, I will apply more. Nothing to lose. If I have to replace radiator in the future, will have a new fitting on it anyway.
Thanks for your effort. I will try again if help is needed in the future, but this one did not work out.