Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2007 explorer is returning the code p0316 & p1260 not

Customer Question

My 2007 explorer is returning the code p0316 & p1260 not sure where to start to fix it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you repaired or replaced anything for this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. My wife was driving the vehicle for a little less than 1 mile when the vehicle just shut down. I rented a code reader that is when the p1260 code and the p0316 was returned. I do not want to start just randomly replacing coils and fuel pumps with out knowing exactly what the problem is.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the engine liter size of this model here so I can make sure I am looking up the correct info on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V6, 4.0L; SOHC; SEFI
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,code P0316 indicates a misfire has been detected on first start up.

Code P1260 indicates a theft component fault.

Is the engine not starting or the starter not engaging at all with this issue here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine will start and run for about 1 to 1.5 seconds (During this short time it seems to run fine) then it will shut down. I towed the vehicle home on a tow dolly (About 3 miles) this may be the p1260?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is the theft system at fault causing this and most likely caused the misfire code as it stalls out as I have seen before.I wouldnt worry about the P0316 just focus on the theft fault here.

Do you have a second key and have you tried it at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the other key seems to have been misplaced.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to clear out/erase the codes with the scan tool to see if they come back and to see if the engine starts at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleared out the codes. now a p1000 code has come up
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine start at all now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same thing. It will start for about 1 to 1.5 seconds.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

and the only code is the P1000 now even after several start attempts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for the vehicle specific codes the only code that is coming up is the p1000. Prior to resetting the codes the only codes i had are the two that I mentioned. Now I have a some codes related to the emission system cat, eva, 02s, egr, htr, none of these codes were here prior to resetting the other codes.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,these are just codes/warnings that you have reset the computer and that the vehicle needs to run to allow the computer to run its running tests to complete.These arent anything to worry about.You still have a theft component fault here.

Most common is the key itself.It has an internal transponder chip that fails and the ignition will not see the correct signal from the key and causes this here.In order to correct this in most cases the key has to be replaced.It is possible it is the immobilizer itself that reads the key needing replaced but usually most of the time it is the key itself needing replaced with another factory key.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete Thanks for your help. I am on my way to the dealer to get a new key if this is the problem (I hope it is) you will be getting a 5 * rating thanks for you help.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.It is possible this is the immobilizer itself and in this case more testing is needed which usually requires dealers test equipment and in some cases a dealer to reprogram it as well.I can only help with what I see here and cannot test so this is an educated guess with what has occurred here.

To be safe I would have the fuel pressure tested as well to make sure it isnt low due to a weak fuel pump as this is also common.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
located the second set of keys. (The dealer was closed.) still have the same problem with the same code.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this will have to be tested further to see if this is an issue with the immobilizer that reads the key needing replaced or to see if there is another fault like a failed fuel pump.You can sometimes test the fuel pressure yourself with a fuel pressure test gauge.Your fuel pressure should be between 30 and 40 psi with the key on and engine off.If lower then the 30 psi then the fuel pump has most likely failed needing replaced.Even if the pump is heard to run it may not be producing enough fuel pressure to allow engine starting.I dont see a test port on your fuel rail to test this pressure with just the pressure test gauge.This will most likely require a fuel pressure test adapter to insert onto the fuel supply line to then thread the gauge on to test it.You can sometimes rent the gauge and adapter from a local parts store to do this testing yourself.

Thanks Pete