Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

7.3 turbo diesel cranks wont start. Oil pressure at

Customer Question

7.3 turbo diesel cranks wont start. Oil pressure at injectors 3k
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Spray with starter fluid it starts but dies
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 2nd time in shop 1st time for a year and a half just trying to get a grasp. Mech pinning ecm now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 95 e350
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
New fomoco cam sensor
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.

Unplug the ICP first (injection control pressure) sensor and try starting. If that sensor is bad and not reporting you have high pressure oil in the heads then the engine will never start. Disconnecting it will cause the PCM to assume a high oil pressure of 750 PSI and unlock the IDM (injector driver module) and try to fire the injectors.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok ty will try monday mechanic closed at 6
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why would we be seeing a high oil pressure of 3k instead of 500-750 psi

What's important is what the PCM "sees", not us. If the sensor is bad, the PCM "sees" no pressure. When the sensor is disconnected, the PCM goes to a default pressure (750 psi), which allows it to unlock the IDM and fire the injectors.

Using a NGS or equivalent scan tool will allow you to "see" all the values the PCM is "seeing". By the way, I would not trust a mechanic to work on my truck if he didn't have and knew how to use one of those scan tools.