Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My name is ***** *****. Got a no start on a 93 festiva. Ok.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. Got a no start on a 93 festiva.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ok. I was I has spark on all 4 cylinders and fuel is reaching injectors. I checked timing and it is good.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

if you have spark and the fuel to the injectors then either the injectors aren't opening or the timing isn't correct, or there's no compression

I'd start with the most likely which is the injectors not opening

and this is usually down to either the ECU not having power or the crank speed sensor being faulty

So to 1st check that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.

You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have checked all of that I have a brand new distributor that houses that camshaft sensor in a crankshaft sensor I have pulled a fuel rail out with the fuel injectors attached and they all fire fuel when the engine is cranking. I check the fuel pressure of the fuel pump and it's above 65 PSI when the engine is cranking I checked the timing over crankshaft and the camshaft in the both aligned properly. I also pulled out the valve cover and check that all the valves are opening and closing during cranking and all cylinders have good compression. Please advise
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

So you have good ( 100+ psi) on all cylinders

the cam timing is correct and the injectors are firing

So I'd double check that the leads are onto the distributor in the correct order and the distributor rotor arm turns in the right direction to match your plug lead order

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have verified a firing order and the correct rotation of the distributor to match the firing order. The only thing I'm uncertain of it's the ECM I'm thinking that the module is ok because I have good spark and all the injectors are firing
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

in that case then I'd see if you can get the engine to go by spraying easi-start into the inlet manifold

if it does then its a lack of fuel

Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried spraying starting fluid in the intake and I still did not get the engine to start. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

OK then if it won't go with startign fluid and you have spark then it must either be a lack of compression or the ignition timing is wrong

I'd do a compression test across all cylinders 1st as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

if you have 2 low ones then its likely that the cam timing is out

if this is OK I'd check that the basic distributor is in the right spot by turning the engine over to top dead centre no.1 and so you're on compression for that cylinder

then ensure the distributor rotor arm is pointing towards the post for that cylinder and double check the plug leads follow the rotor rotation for the right firing order

Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?