K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

I have a 1992 Mustang 5.0 LX with a dual mushimoto electric

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Mustang 5.0 LX with a dual mushimoto electric fan. The electric fan will not come on however and was installed by a previous owner. I followed the wires and it appears to be run to the fuse box under the dash all lines look good and none of the fuses are blown. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank u
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 7 months ago.

Hello, does it look to be wired so the + side of the fan runs to key on power in the fuse box and the - side just grounded to sheetmetal or is the - side hooked to a temperature sensor? Also do you have a test light or volt meter available to test it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a volt meter... the ground is attached to the body and the main wire is running through the firewall to the fuse box. Nothing running to the ignition switch
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't appear to be hooked to a temp switch

Thanks, ***** ***** it wired in a way that often cause premature fan failure due to it running all the time vs coming on only when the engine reaches a predetermined temperature.

If you can grab a test light, check where it is plugged into the fuse box, there should be power there with the key in the on position. If there is not we need to go deeper.

As I mentioned previously usually when they are wired like it currently is the fan just wears out prematurely. IDeally you want to use something like THIS to extend fan life and ensure proper operation.

You can also use a voltmeter to check the resistance of the fan windings for an open or short to confirm if they are bad.

I would be happy to help you more once you obtain a volt meter or test light at minimum.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'll get one

Sounds good