A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Engine wont turn over sounds like it wants to. I have the

Customer Question

Engine wont turn over sounds like it wants to. I have the lean codes from the OBD2 reader. Can a bad or faulty purge valve cause a no start problem? I have done a number of repairs and replacements.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.

A poor running fuel pump will also cause all the codes and symptoms you are describing. You need to check actual fuel pressure with a manual fuel pressure gauge at the line to the fuel injectors. The specs are 35-70 psi of fuel pressure with the key turned on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had major issues with my internet at my home and have not been able to respond to this I am really sorry...
I am still in the same place as I was before with my car issue though. I can not for the life of me find the shraeder valve on my car to check the fuel pump with a guage as you were advising.
if you are still able to help me on this I would really appreciate it. I have a working internet now so all should be good to go on the communication aspect. Sorry again for the major delayed response.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.

No problem. I completely understand.

Your engine does not have a Schrader valve test port. You will have to connect a fuel pressure gauge in line at the fuel line connecting to the fuel injectors or at the fuel filter outlet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In regards ***** ***** sport trac since my first post I did get it started however the idle issue is horrible, it is a hard start then idles extremely low and then dies. If I accelerate in Park and rev the engine it will shake at about 3000 rpm's.
The last bit of info but I didn't mention because I assumed it wasn't connected and planned on fixing after this, is that the water pump needs to be replaced. That's all of it, for now at least, lol..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just read your response which is easiest to connect to and if it is the fuel filter outlet , where would that be located?

The fuel filter should be located on the inside of the frame under the drivers seat under the vehicle. See the directions below.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** fuel filter outlet is the easier spot to get to vs. the injector? one more thing could a dirty fuel filter be the cause of any of this? it has never been changed.

Sorry, I signed off before 11 because I get up earl for work. The fuel filter is the easer place to get the fuel pressure reading. Also, yes, a clogged fuel filter could cause the same concern.