Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I have a 2012 f450, turbo blew at 60k, now just blew again

Customer Question

I have a 2012 f450, turbo blew at 60k, now just blew again at 110000 miles. first one was installed jul 2014, fords website says 2yr unlimited mileage on part. dealer is telling me no because first one was installed under factory warranty. this does not make since to me.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.

Hi Jeremy, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Are they coming apart? damage to the compressor and exhaust wheel or leaking oil ? Failure analysis will determine whether it is from a lack of oil or debris getting into the intake.... some potential causes of premature failure are:

1 Dust entering the intake from a leak in the intake piping

2 Failure to idle the engine before shutdown

3 low oil pressure

Let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
bearings i believe going out wheel hitting housing.

thanks for the update. Bare with me... Having PC troubles today... Mouse went out on my laptop. Verify you have good oil pressure and check your intake hoses for leaks that could suck in dust and debris. Also allow the engine to idle befor shutdown if you do not already as a hot shutdown is the worst thing for a turbo. Once the engine is shut off there is no oil to the turbo and bearings and if the turbo has not had a chance to slow its RPM and cool some at idle it spins dry.