Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 2008 f150 that has a 4.2l engine. it had been

Customer Question

i have a 2008 f150 that has a 4.2l engine. it had been runnning sluggish so i added lusas gas treatment to the gas and changed the air filter. i drove it twice and it seemed fine then now it just turns over but seems like it isnt getting gas. I put a code reader on it and it says no codes in memory. Roughly 60,000 miles and im wondering if the fuel filter is maybe clogged or even if thats a question
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most common to cause this fault here with what you have described is a fault with the fuel pump being weak.I have had to replace several of these before for this issue here.You will want to have the fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if it needs replaced for sure.With the key on and engine off the pressure needs to be between 35 and 45 psi.If any lower then the 35 psi then the pump most likely needs replaced.It is very possible that the fuel filter is clogged but usually most of the time it is the pump.You can start with replacing the filter.It is on the frame rail under the vehicle as shown as #6 here.

Here are the instructions for replacement:

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. 2. Release the fuel system pressure. 3. Disconnect the battery ground cable. 4. Disconnect the fuel filter inlet fuel tube quick connect coupling and fuel filter outlet fuel tube spring lock coupling. 5. Remove the fuel filter from the fuel filter bracket. 6. To install, reverse the removal procedure. - If a tie strap was removed, reinstall a new tie strap in the same location.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete