Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2010 escape starts then immediately dies

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Usually when this happens there is something in the MAF sensor like dirt, debris, bug, ect.

Check the air filter, sometimes the air fliter will pass unfiltered air and cause this also.

Was the air flter removed or piping for the intake removed at some point during the repair?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we just removed it and it looks fine. Blew some air through the wires and reinstalled.
didn't fix problem
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Ok do you have a scan tool to check the computer for trouble codes? Can you hear any vacuum leaks when it is initially started?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
scan tool? is that a code reader? we have one but since we changed the battery, there are no codes showing up.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Does it stay running with throttle depressed slightly? The codes may stored after a few more attempts if there is a circuit or sensor problem somewhere.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no it won't stay running. if you pump the accelerator several times before cranking, it runs about a second longer
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have fuel pressure tester?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no sorry
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

At this point the only answers I can give are truly guesses at this point unless you want to get fuel pressure tester to see if the fuel system is building pressure. I can give some possible causes, was there anything leading up to this? Was it running ok and then just wouldn't start, or did it stall going down the road, any more information at this point would be extremely helpful.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
worked fine one day. went outside to crank it the next day and it wouldn't stay cranked. no warning whatsoever..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i assume this conversation is over and i won't be charged good bye
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.
Power is out computer dead. Will answer as soon as I can.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry about the delay, we had a lightning strike knocked out power. I replied on my phone but I couldn't read anything.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it stays running, it may take 2-3 starts before the check engine light comes on, if it stays running aftr 2-3 tries, I suspect a bad MAF sensor, if you can get a fuel pressure tester, test the fuel just to be sure is has at least 30 psi. Also if you can get a scan tool to see if there are any new codes that stored in the computer before you try the unplugging the MAF sensor. Let me know, thanks Scott