EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have had no issues with steering my 2002 Thunderbird and

Customer Question

I have had no issues with steering my 2002 Thunderbird and have had no issues with stalling or anything at all; however, yesterday I suddenly lost power steering ability and checked the power steering receptacle which was empty. I refilled it immediately and the power steering ability came back to less than 50%. I drove 1/2 mile and parked it for the night. This morning there was a puddle underneath the engine of the car and the power steering fluid receptacle was again empty. I poured in some more power steering fluid and saw fluid immediately leaking onto the ground.
Without inspecting the car yourself, do you have a working diagnosis? Is it at all possibly related to the power steering sensor? Is it at all possibly related to the power steering switch?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 11 months ago.

Hi. The sensor or switch is probably not at fault. More than likely, without seeing the vehicle, the leak is from a power steering line, pump, or the steering rack itself.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry but I would respectfully ***** ***** satisfactory answer to the following: Is it AT ALL possible for this specific leak situation to be CAUSED by an issue with the power steering sensor or switch and HOW SO? Thank you for your reply

It is possible for a leak to be caused the the steering switch. The way the switch could leak is from the part that threads into the steering line or internally from the sensor. But those types of failures would more than likely not cause the fluid to pour out as fast as you say it is.

Thank you for viewing my last response on 3/23/2016 at 6:13:28 PM 2 day(s) ago. Please let me know if you have more questions on this and also rate my service to you. Thank you.