EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Brake issue with a 99 ford Taurus put in a rebuilt power

Customer Question

brake issue with a 99 ford Taurus put in a rebuilt power booster and a new master cyl. bleed the brakes twice still didn't like the way they felt. took it to a mech. he said cause it has ABS system it might need to be "power" bleed so I had it done after 90.00 still is not right
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What is the feeling you are getting when you step on the brake pedal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pedle feels semi hard but seems to be a resistance time before the brakes actually start stopping but doesn't really stop quickly
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Have you checked the front caliper slides? If one slide is frozen there will be extra pedal travel as the piston moves further to contact the pad. Same goes for rear. If you have drums make sure the shoes are adjusted tight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , not yet but Im not sure this is applicable to my situation the brakes worked better before I put on the new parts, with the faulty power booster.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You should check and adjust the base brake system first. Also perhaps you got a not so good rebuilt master cylinder. Make sure vacuum is sufficient to the booster

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is base brake system?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Calipers, pads, slides, drums and shoes

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you made any progress with this? It has been a few days since you responded.