Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I am looking causes a car was running, but just quit. We

Customer Question

I am looking for possible causes for why a car was running, but just quit. We pulled the #1 plug and cranked the engine and there is no spark.
What do I need to look at and check to trace the issue?
1999 Escort ZX2 2.0 DOHC
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the crankshaft position sensor has failed. Start by replacing the PCM power relay to see if that helps if not replace the crankshaft position sensor. The crankshaft position sensor tells the computer when to fire the coils. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8dqjpqy6ugt35y/ckpsa.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

where can I find the PCM?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

It looks like the relay is built into the CCRM. Unplug the PCM and see if the white/red wires at pins 71 and 97 have voltage with key in on position. Also check to see if red/green wire at coil has power with key in on position. If both are good then replace crankshaft position sensor. Here are instructions to access PCM. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy71ysrt5t03k83/zx2.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok thanks we will check those. I misread your initial reply, you said replace the PCM relay not the PCM....can you point me to the PCM power relay location.....maybe it is in what you just sent I will check that too.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

The PCM power relay is built into the CCRM so it isn't as easy to replace as I originally thought. To keep things easy as possible your best option is verify coil has power, if so replace crank sensor. IF check engine light comes on for bulb check then PCM relay should be properly functioning. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.