Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My check engine light came on to my 1998 ford expedition.

Customer Question

My check engine light came on to my 1998 ford expedition. what should i check to see why the check engine light came on.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the check engine light came on the truck has over 200,000 miles on it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: maybe it depeneds
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you know what diagnostic codes you are getting? Does light flash while driving? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i dont know the diagnostic code. no the light doesnt flash while driving.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If vehicle seems to run fine then you probably have a emission related issue such as a failed fuel cap. Lets start by checking diagnostic codes which you can have done at your local parts store for free. Then write them down and let me know what they are, thanks.