Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2006 ford f650 with 5.9 cummins 167000 miles runs hot have

Customer Question

2006 ford f650 with 5.9 cummins 167000 miles runs hot have flushed radiator changed heat sensor unit thermostat and waterpump still builds pressure at thermostat have put 3 different ones in what is the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most common can be a leaking cylinder head gasket.One of the head gaskets can leak internally to where exhaust heat and gasses pass the gasket and enter the engine cooling system.When this is done this causes the coolant to heat up rapidly causing this over heat issue.This wont show up as an external fluid leak or internal with oil and coolant mixing with this type of leak here.

What needs to be done from here is to have a block test done with a block tester to see if for sure this is the cause.This testing can take around an hour to do and any shop or dealer can do this for you.You can also purchase a block tester from a local parts store in most cases to do this testing yourself.

If the testing shows to be o.k. and no issues then I would have the coolant system flushed as debris in the system can cause this as well needing flushed out to free up coolant movement to correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete