Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Have a 2002 F150 - stalls when taking off from a stop light,

Customer Question

Have a 2002 F150 - stalls when taking off from a stop light, intermittently. Will go for weeks and not do it...then do it randomly for 2-3 days. No rhyme or reason. All fluids are ok. Oil is at minimum, but is within level. My son says today he was driving and felt like engine was running kind of high and then a little while later when he stopped at a red light, it was fine and when he took off, it stalled. He said he didn't "gun it" because he is scared of stalling it out - so it is his practice not to take off hard. Ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other details do I need to include? Sorry - not sure what else you need
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

1. What liter engine?
  2. Any warning lights on?
  3. When it stalls have the rpms increased a,little already from accelerating?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is an older "work" truck for their lawn care business, so it is not in great shape. The check engine light stays on all the time but no other warning before it hits. Although like he said, sometimes when he is driving it, it feels like the engine is running really fast/high and then he will stop at a light and when he takes off from the light, it will stall. It feels like it stutters (like it is trying to take off) and then it stalls instead.

Do you happen to know which engine it has and the codes which are stored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't - Im sorry. I do know that my son says it is a 1998 F-150. sorry. I have a VIN number on it if that would help

The vin# ***** help, because earlier you mentioned its a 02 now its a 98. I can figure this out sooner knowing more.