Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I'm putting in reverse glow. Inserts instrument cluster

Customer Question

I'm putting in reverse glow. Inserts for my instrument cluster I can't find the ground wire because the instructions say use the black wire in the. Headlight switch and there isn't a black wire. And it says wire the Power wire into the big center gray wire. Also I want to wire the. Dimmer on the new inserts directly into the switch which wire on the pigtail is. The dimmer control??
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.

There are no ground wires in the headlight switch connector. Try using any ground in the passenger side kick panel under the drivers side of the dash near the hood release handle. Any ground on the vehicle will work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which wire in the connector is for the dimmer?

The RED/YELLOW striped wire in location H in the diagram below.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the big gray wire in center is where I should be able to draw power for dash lights to turn on when my headlights turn on?

No. The DARK BLUE/WHITE striped wire is instrument panel/dash light feed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's to dark to try this tonight so I'll get to it in morning.

No problem. Reply back when your ready. I'll be at work at my dealership during the day and I'll get an email when you reply back. If I can, I'll reply back. But if not, I'll be back on line tomorrow evening at the same time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The dark blue and white didn't allow the. Dash lights to come on when headlights came on however there is a dark blue/ orange wire which did I hooked everything up and. When turned on it fried the power converter for the reverse glow in thinks not a good ground

The dark blue/white striped wire is power to all the instrument panel lights when the headlights are on. Each light circuit have their own ground. See the diagram below.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is a picture of the 12v power in better that come in box and the dimmer switch. I wired the dimmer switch into the existing dimmer and ran both grounds for Dimmer and the inserts to a bolt under the driver dash when turned lights on everything worked but it. Burned up the inverter. At the connection in the converter could this have been cause by the wires being grounded improperly??

I am going to OPT OUT and open this question to the other experts. I think they might have better information for you with this accessory than me. Thank you.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Different tech here, would you like me to give this a shot?