Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

April...98 Expedition will not crank...just replaced battery

Customer Question

April...98 Expedition will not crank...just replaced battery security light is flashing like crazy and there is a clicking sound coming from dash
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Been sitting for a few a new battery today, lights come on terminals cleaned and tight and on correctly but when I turn the key It doesn't turnover...can find codes b/c I changed the battery I guess...relatively new starter and alternator
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. So if you just turn the key to the ON position, the dash lights up correct? Also, look at the anti theft light after you have turned the key ON, Does the anti theft light go out after a few seconds, or does it blink or stay on ? thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correct...dash lights come on and little red circle security light continues to blink rapidly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Radio light blinks with the clicking sound....not sure if that helps
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

ok, If it continues to blink rapidly, then that is why it won't crank. Are you sure the battery is good? have you tried to jump start it? or do the headlights appear dim or nice and bright?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Battery is good try jumping voltage reads 11.58
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

That's a little low, good battery should read over 12. but that voltage is high enough where you shouldn't get the blinking anti theft light with key on.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

You have a spare ignition key? or just 1 key to it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just 1
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.

Alright April, If you had two keys I was going to suggest you try the other one, Most likely either the transceiver has failed, or the key itself has failed. You can replace the transceiver and then try it, but what I would really suggest in this case since you do not have a spare key, is calling a mobile locksmith, they can come out, cut you a new key, and program it to the Expedition, and if it happens to be the transceiver, they likely have that in stock for your car as it is common problem. Then you would have a spare and you wouldn't have to get it towed. They are usually reasonable, that is what I would do if it was mine, you have to have these keys programmed unfortunately on the 98 model. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!