Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Our 1997 Ford F150 started to crank without the key in it.

Customer Question

Our 1997 Ford F150 started to crank without the key in it. So I replaced the GEM module. With that module it started to let the wipers run only on hi speed and would not stop. Around 8 hours later it started to crank itself again. do I need to have the GEM module reprogramed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases this type of problem is caused by a water leak on the top side of the left upper windshield which allows water to leak down the windshield post and drip on the GEM/fuse panel which causes internal shorting in the GEM/fuse panel. Are you sure the windshield is not leaking on the new GEM? The new GEM should not need programming.