A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have no communication with the scanner and it will not

Customer Question

I have no communication with the scanner and it will not start.The eec power relay is chattering.It has fuel pressure and spark.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will not run.I have switched relays and the new one still chatters.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.I have had a shop for 18 years then became transportation director for a school the last 16 years so I am a little rusty.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuel pressure and spark, ok, plugged my snap on scanner in and can't communicate
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 200,000 miles and was running fine until it refused to start one day.Compression seems fine.The eec power relay chatter and no communication is leading me to an ecm suspect.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

What year and model Ford are you working on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
97 ranger,2.3litre with a 5 speed

Check power and ground to the EEC relay under the hood. You should have 12 volts ( Battery voltage) on pins #1 and #5 and good ground on pin #2. Poor gound will cause the chatter and no communication.

Also inspect the PCM diode.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already done that but will check again

What have you done?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Voltage and ground are ok.Redid all grounds and ecm connections, cleaned battery terminals,checked all fuses, switched relays, checked fuel and spark.

If you jump pins 3 and 5 at the relay, will the engine run? Also, check for power on pin #16 at the Data Link Connector under the dash where the scan tool connects. If no power there, the scan toll will not communicate with the PCM.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did not run, which is 16 on the data link connector ?

See below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have battery voltage there

Check the resistance to ground for pin #2 of the relay. Make sure the resistance is reading 0.0 OHMS or really close. It is also the same ground for the PCM.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was ok. Diodes were good also

I think the PCM has failed internally since it will not start and you cannot communicate with it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is my thought as well.I have been working on 28 diesel buses for the last 16 years and needed a refresher! Thanks

Your welcome.