john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I own a 2005 Ford F150 5.4 XLT. it has around 227k miles on

Customer Question

Hi. my name is ***** ***** I own a 2005 Ford F150 5.4 XLT . it has around 227k miles on it and it has been kept up in maintenance. My truck has been having a tranny problem as it does not catch 3rd gear anymore. all fuses and visible outside connections have been checked out ok. Someone told me that it could be the AT control solenoid? I also have an ABS light on and I've replaced all speed sensors and brake master cylinder, bled all the lines until clear new fluid runs through. Collected 12 plus ounces of dirty fluid and at first braking it sounds/feels like the vacuum booster flutters a little. It brakes good only after the ABS light comes on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sorry bout not answering sooner my Macedon***** *****ies were baking and smelled done. Anyways, yes i was a BMW tech here and dabbled in reconstructing V8's, straight six's, four bangers and such and electronical wiring. Some know how on trannys too.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford? Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: As far as the ABS part yes i made sure the tones on the rotors were cleaned off and have a new set of all-terrain tires, checked all the connecting wires on the ABS module connector. i haven't actually tested for continuity from point to point on harness but I'm confident it's not that. Someone suggested it could be the module. I can replace the tranny solenoid but I have to test the it first to see if that's the problem.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 8 months ago.

If the fluid is full the next thing is to determine the fluid condition, if it is black and/or smells like a burnt clutch then the internal clutch packs are most likely burnt up which could have been from overheating the trans. If the trans. filter is plugged it could cause a shifting issue, which would cause a very hard shift and at generally high RPM's. If you have no gears in 3rd / 4th then the internal bands or the clutch packs could be at fault. One way to see if you have internal failures is to drop the transmission pan and see if you have metal shavings in the bottom of the pan, if you do then the trans will need to be torn down to inspect for damage and a rebuild will be needed. If you have a O/D light flashing the system will need to be checked for codes to determine what is at fault. I hope that has answered your question! If that has answered your question please hit the 'Accept' button.