EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I replaced the timing belt on my Zetec 2.0 DOHC, I did use

Customer Question

I replaced the timing belt on my Zetec 2.0 DOHC, I did use the special tools and everything is set but it still wont start. it does not turn over hard but pops or backfires almost as if the plug wires are crossed or it is still way out of time. The wires are on correctly and I am now at a loss, what should be my next move?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Why did you replace the timing belt? maintenance, or did it break while driving?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had to replace the valve cover gasket and when I did I saw some cracks in it, it was going to break soon and was trying to be proactive.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sorry I am not set up for phone calls. Since the vehicle ran before I would have to suspect that the timing is NOT on and that you are going to have to recheck it. did you take the belt off and then install the cam holding tools, or turn the engine until you could install the cam holding tool with the belt on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Took the belt off to put the cam holding tool in
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With the cam holding tool in place I am at top on the power stroke

The cam tool only goes one way. So those have to be correct. You probably have the crank shaft 180 degrees out.

Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate my service. Thanks.