Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Power steering fluid leakage towards back of front right

Customer Question

power steering fluid leakage towards back of front right tire. 2005 Mercury Sable, 3.0 6-cyl DOHC engine
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: refilling fluid weekly, spots on carport concrete
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, it is on ramps right now and I can't see a thing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: just noise when its low, nothing unusual.
JA: Our top Ford Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Ford Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Ford Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the problem is going to be the steering rack. When the steering rack has a leak, it's usually the seal at the end which will leak out through the boot. Many times, it will need to be under pressure before you can see the leak. If you have the vehicle up off the ground, have someone turn the wheel while you are inspecting. Check the end of the rack assembly and both ends of the boot. For an image view, click here (red arrows show common leak spots): https://www.dropbox.com/s/niloyz6fcrp6sfh/sable-rack.psp?dl=0

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.