Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2003 ford Taurus that when the heat defrost is

Customer Question

Hello Pearl I have a 2003 ford Taurus that when the heat defrost is turned on the a/c clutch comes on and off automatically .
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: a/c clutch turns on and off and makes a strong hissing sound and engine also idles erratically
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes pearl
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: what a name
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: had a/c compressor replaces. vacuum hoses replaced . fuel filter replaced.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the ac will activate automatically when on defrost for humidity control. it should not cycle unless it is low in freon.

the hissing noise does not make sense unless there is an issue with the compressor. does the hiss stop when the defrost is off??

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the hissing sound stops when the defrost is off.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, can you give me a specific area it is coming from???

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Roy and thank You, sounds like its coming from the upper intake manifold.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
underneath the upper intake manifold but very difficult to pin point.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still with me Ron.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could this problem be caused by one of the a/c refill ports being stuck open as well ?
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

no, they are just access prots to insert a gauge for monitoring the freon

it may be the IAC on the top. it senses a load and increases a vacuum leak to adjust the idle

Roy