James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Does anyone know what can-bus signal the Ford F-150 electric

Customer Question

Does anyone know what can-bus signal the Ford F-150 electric power steering assist is looking for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, what year vehicle are you working on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
On 2013 the power steering control module operates off of the high speed can.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you don't know or can't find out, just say so. It is obvious I already know it is can bus controlled by my question. What I asked and what you have not answered is Does anyone know what can bus signal the electric assist steering is looking for?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
What signal for what? Is the power steering not working? The can bus doesn't control anything per say. If you are trying to test the can bus I can help. If you think the power steering failed and its can bus related the vehicle won't work correctly. The HS is primary and is something is shorting out the network the vehicle won't start.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have switched to electric drive and need to know what data to supply to the steering unit to turn it on? The truck drives fine just needs power steering online. Can you help?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
In order for it to work it needs to be seen on the network as a module. If you have an IDS and performed a network test I'm guessing the PSCM isn't going to be seen by the BCM that is why it isn't working. You would have to have the BCM programmed to know it should have electronic power steering.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The factory ecu is no longer driving the powertrain. We need to know what messages the eps is looking for on the canbus to activate, like rpm or something. The engine is long gone.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Ok you made the entire vehicle electric. I will opt out and see if someone else has an answer.