Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have purchased it from a dealership and have not even

Customer Question

I have purchased it from a dealership and have not even reached 1000 miles and it has an issue the dealership is trying to charge me $700+ to fix it and the part is less then $100
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: they are saying the gears are worn and the torque converter is bad it vibrates at about 30 -40 mph and the tach bounces
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it is currently dat the dealership was supposed to be fixed today and now they are saying there is more issues
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

First of all what year, make, model, engine, transmission if you know is this and second, what gears are worn and what more issues does it have and how may I be of assistance?

If they are replacing the torque converter, it is located in front of the transmission, so the transmission would have to come out in order to replace it so that may be the reason the price is so high on that, most of it is for labor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is a 2007 ford edge with an automatic transmission they told me to just replace the torque converter it will be around $1300 and they would split the cost with me I called yesterday because I was supposed to be able to pick it up today and they are saying the trans fluid is dark which means the gears are bad but just three weeks ago they did a transmission service on it thinking that was the problem im not sure what gears. does this seem like a fair price I put 3000 down on it and haven't even had it a month. it seemed to drive fine but it wuld occasionally have a vibration around 30-40 mph and the tach would bounce slightly around 1. does this price seem right the torque converter is under $150thank you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

The labor guide I have says 6.5 hours for them to change the torque convertor, so if they charge $100 an hour labor, that would be $650 labor for changing the torque convertor, pus of course the price of the torque convertor.