Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

My 2003 Ford Exp low oil, gh temp light just came

Customer Question

My 2003 Ford Exp low oil, high temp light just came on.....followed by chexk engine. When I open the hood it appeared to be overheating
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I also received the message of reduced engine power and it seemed as this was occurring.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am trouble shooting honestly trying to get an idea of what I am possibly dealing with.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Not I am aware of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.

Check the cooling system and make sure it is full, if it is full the most likley cause is a stuck thermostat. When a thermostat sticks closed, the coolant can't circulate and then the engine overheats, when the temp gets too high, the engine goes into a default mode to try and save the engine from overheating and damage.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.

The check engine light is also a result of the overheating, the computer sees a overtemp condition and will set a trouble code.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.

If you have any more questions just ask, thanks Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.

If you need repair information I can get this also.